Friday, March 24, 2006

A Blaze of Light in Every Word

There is something in music at times that sets one's spirit above the mundane world of traffic jams and burnt toast. My kids unearthed a song recently that many of you have probably heard, and in a Bob Dylan kind of way fits what my mood is in regards to what is happening to our beloved country today.
You may discern the carefree way we have been seduced & discarded to finally realize truth is something precious in these mysteriously prescient lyrics written by Cohen & Wainwright.

I prefer the optimistic two para ending by Leonard Cohen.
HallelujahRufus Wainwright(Shrek Soundtrack)

photo: rense

Hallelujah

*******

I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah.
Hallelujah ...

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah
Hallelujah ....

Maybe I have been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah
Hallelujah ....

There was a time you let me know
What's real and going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dark was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah
Hallelujah ....

Maybe there's a God above
And all I ever learned from love
Was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you
And it's not a cry you can hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah
Hallelujah....

You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah
Hallelujah...

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you.
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah
!

Hallelujah, Hallelujah......


http://www.jesuscampthemovie.com THE JESUS CAMP MOVIE!! OUT IN NOV 2006 A MUST SEE!

21 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i listen to that song ALL of the time. it's haunting

7:27 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

must be a coincidence?

7:42 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Merry Ostara Rose!

:)

8:35 AM  
Blogger Lew Scannon said...

Wasn't that song used in Shrek?

9:04 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Callon said...

I like this. I like that some of the lines have whole stories behind them.

3:06 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

Lew, yes it was. I believe there are several versions that take on different meanings. It struck me odd that it was so meaningful to the political/religious reality today.

Thanx Kath, and yes interesting amazing lyrics.

5:46 PM  
Blogger qrswave said...

AJ, thanks! That's wonderful!

Lew, I recognized it from Shrek, too.

My son loves that movie and so do I.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks aj and a most wonderful ostara to you as well!

8:30 AM  
Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

there is only one version of this, and that is the one that was done by Jeff Buckley, and if you haven't heard it, you haven't heard this song.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

by the way, have you heard this by jeff buckley? if not, please look for it

(whoops just read the rev's comment. he happens to know his stuff)

5:14 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Ill have to check it out. Thanx.

7:48 AM  
Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

aj:

1)get your boxing gloves on i returned fire on your neoconish remarks.

2) when are you going to do a story on the killer volcano in yellowstone?

3)just exactly who is this mysterious woman in almost bat-like form that i see everywhere i travel? is this one of your goons aj? if so you are doing better than i.

9:40 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Hey Rev, so nice of you to drop by!

Mysterious woman? Who?

I certainly hope I did not offend, actually I was just waking up this AM when I read your post, and posted.Although a bit hazy, I don't think I said something too nutsco, if I did I will crawl humbly back with my tail between my legs...

if not, then the gloves will be on!

4:33 PM  
Blogger young brother said...

wonderful song. Music cuts to the quick. Radiohead is a personal unknowingly prophetic favorite. Musicians tap into a force that they themselves do not know how to describe, The purity is outside of ourselves.

on another note, there is a great 11 minute video I reccomend you watch regarding America's current spiritual crisis:
http://www.chrisvalentines.com/projects/frozen.html

6:53 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

Thanks Kev, I will get to it.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Callon said...

Just found this:

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/09/1526251

Haven't finished reading it yet, but it's very interesting.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i am my OWN woman rev and it's NOT bat gear it's RAVEN gear after all, i AM the morrighan and a defender of those i deem need defending!

i prefer to think of myself as enigmatic rather than mysterious

6:04 AM  
Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

ok rose by any other, you can be an enigmatic raven morrighan and defend whomsoever you like.

i would like to be thought of as a white knight fighting for the survival of all mankind, but i still wind up with the label of jackboot asswipe nutbag being tossed my way.

hope your luck runs better than mine, and keep your head out of narrow vases, put stones in till the water is high enough.

thanks aj for the spar match yesterday.

1:42 PM  
Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

ok rose by any other, you can be an enigmatic raven morrighan and defend whomsoever you like.

i would like to be thought of as a white knight fighting for the survival of all mankind, but i still wind up with the label of jackboot asswipe nutbag being tossed my way.

hope your luck runs better than mine, and keep your head out of narrow vases, put stones in till the water is high enough.

thanks aj for the spar match yesterday.

1:43 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

You bet Rev. Anytime.


It is always a pleasure.

Im hoping Rose comes down and rescues me from the local orgy of fundamentalist patriotic fever forever surrounding me.

Rose, have you ever been to Regency University? It's a hoot!
Lily won't come!

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can someone please tell me where I can find the notes of the song? I really want to play the song on the piano..

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home